Need to bring a side dish for Thanksgiving dinner? Made with seasonal vegetables, this recipe balances the sweetness of the squash with a little heat. As a variation, you can add diced jalapenos or chili powder to kick it up even more! Note: this isn't an everyday side dish; we've made a slight exception for the holiday.
from our Nutrisystem Kitchen
2 Extra: Limited + 1 Smart Carb
1. Heat olive oil and butter in large skillet over high heat.
2. Add squash, onion, and garlic to skillet and saute 4 to 5 minutes, to begin to brown the squash, and caramelize the onions.
3. Reduce heat to low.
4. Sprinkle SplendaŽ Brown Sugar over squash then stir in Thai-style roasted chili paste and red pepper.
5. Mix well to coat and blend ingredients.
6. Simmer gently 12 to 14 minutes or until squash is fork tender.
7. Plate, garnish with green onions and serve immediately.
Yields: 4 Servings
Garlic, fresh, minced
Splenda Brown Sugar
Butternut or acorn squash, cut in half inch cube
Thai style roasted chili paste
Green onion, diced
Sweet onion, diced
Variations (May affect "Counts As" values)